The rock art panel at Achnabreck (NR 85566 90814) was first discovered in January 2008 when storms blew over a group of substantial tree roots revealing the rock panel below. The site lies close to Scotland’s largest rock art panel of Achnabreck 1 and excavation of the site was undertaken by Kilmartin Museum in May 2008.
During the spring of 2013 Rosemary Neagle, the owner of Carnassarie farm, discovered what she thought was the capstone of a cist, which we proceeded to excavate. The cist was well built and cut into natural bedrock with commanding views south over Kilmartin Glen.
The archaeological investigation at the former settlement of Craigglass was a collaborative excavation initiated as part of the Dalraida Festival. The specific aim of excavation was to introduce the public and children in particular, to the practicalities of a ‘real’ excavation through active participation.
As part of this project we undertook preliminary excavation and survey work at the Scheduled site of Dun Mhuirich in North Knapdale, Argyll. The site is likely a dun structure dating to the late Iron Age period (c. 2000 years old), but of particular interest were a set of buildings within the dun that were obviously of later, but unknown, date.
The site at Dun Mhuirich, just south of Tayvallich, sits on the summit of a steep sided rocky knoll next to an arm of Loch Sween. The fortifications consist today of two stone walled enclosures and outlying walls, the earliest of which were built in the Iron Age, around 2,000 years ago.
The creation of a new parking area within the grounds of Dunollie House, Oban led to a watching brief over the affected area. Evidence of gravel quarrying was seen in the north of the area and this may be related to the construction of Dunollie House in 1746, or possibly the extensive remodelling of the house and grounds in 1830.
This community excavation involved hundreds of people in the excavation, which recovered thousands of artefacts relating to the history of the settlement. The artefacts we uncovered can be examined on the Morlaggan Rural Settlement Group website: http://highmorlaggan.co.uk/
The settlement of Kilmory Oib is one of the many settlements abandoned in the 18th century due to changing agricultural regimes. In trying to get a better understanding of how and why this happened and the people it involved a programme of survey and excavation was undertaken at Kilmory Oib in 2008 as part of the Dalriada Project.
In the autumn of 2012 an outlying stone of the Nether Largie Standing Stone group collapsed. Excavation work was undertaken Kilmartin Museum, funded by the Craigend Trust, facilitated by the owner of the field, Mr Ian Malcolm, and the re-erection of the stone was completed by a team from Historic Scotland.
The survey work undertaken on the western side of Barr Mor on the Taynish peninsula has confirmed and recorded the remains of a dispersed settlement, which may have been abandoned prior to the 18th century. This is suggested by the documentary evidence or rather lack of a reference to the settlement after the late 17th century.